An application should include the following:
- A confirmation letter from the Sylff steering committee at the institution where the applicant received a Sylff fellowship (prescribed form downloadable as Word file)
- Application form (prescribed form downloadable as Word file. Describe in detail what strategies will be used to undertake the proposed academic research without the applicant traveling overseas.)
- A letter of recommendation from an academic supervisor at the home institution (prescribed form downloadable as Word file), to be provided directly to the Sylff Association by the supervisor.
- A letter of reference from the applicant’s counterpart or professional in the foreign country who will cooperate with the applicant in conducting research and who can assess the relevance of the applicant’s research (no prescribed form, but it must be written on the referee’s letterhead).
- Tentative research schedule (sample downloadable as Excel file)
- Proposed budget (prescribed form downloadable as Excel file)
- Curriculum vitae in English (up to 3 pages)
IMCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED UNCONDITIONALLY. The applicant will be notified immediately of the rejection. The application forms will not be returned.
All application documents must be in English and typed. No handwritten documents will be accepted.
- An application form is accepted only when the following conditions are met:
- It includes information on the doctoral dissertation and research proposal with a BIBLIOGRAPHY of the works on which the applicant’s research is based.
- It is submitted as an MS Word document.
You are requested to write about your doctoral dissertation and research proposal, as well as your nonacademic, leadership achievements. Information on these matters should be as specific as possible. The information provided will not be considered positively if it lacks sufficient detail.
- Plagiarism will be severely penalized. If found, the applicant will be excluded from the Sylff program entirely, that is, he/she will not be eligible for this or any other support services provided by the Association. If the violation is revealed after the disbursement of the award, the violator will be required to return the award to the Association within 30 days of the notification of the violation. The Association will immediately inform the Sylff institutions of the violation. Other penalties relating to this violation may be determined and imposed by these institutions.
- All application documents, except the letter of recommendation from the academic supervisor at the home institution, are to be emailed to the Association by the applicant. The letter of recommendation should be emailed by the academic supervisor. There is no need to submit the documents by postal mail.
- The SRA award will be based on the accumulation of anticipated expenditures; it will not be approved as a lump sum. The Association may ask the applicant to revise the budget, even after the research proposal has been approved. When there is unused money after the completion of research and the filing of reports to the Association, the participant must refund the amount to the Association.
The Sylff Association secretariat will screen applicants for eligibility, feasibility of the proposed research, and relevance to current academic pursuits, as well as for the significance of the research in addressing social issues.