Applications will be accepted starting after mid-April 2021. The exact date will be announced by email. Please note that only online applications will be accepted. Applications sent by email or those that are either incomplete or late will not be accepted. Please be sure to provide all required information by the deadline.
There are two steps in completing your application. First, provide basic information about yourself along with a letter of reference through the online application site. After submitting this information, proceed to the second step of providing your bank account information. You will receive instructions of how to notify us of your bank account by email.
The following is a list of what you need to submit. Before you apply online, please have available all the information requested. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to make any changes.
FIRST STEP: Provide basic information and a letter of reference
- Your name (first name, family name)
- Your country of residence
- Email address you regularly use
- Name of your home Sylff institution
- Your current academic or employment affiliation (if any):
- Address of your current affiliation above (if any):
- Expected date of degree (or date received)
- Type of degree (master’s or doctorate, field of specialization)
- Your reason for applying
[Letter of Reference]
You will need to attach a letter of reference* (prescribed template) when applying online.
*The letter of reference must be signed by a member of the Sylff steering committee if you are currently enrolled at the institution where you received your Sylff fellowship. (Please use this request letter for your convenience.) If you are no longer enrolled there, the letter of reference must be signed by your academic supervisor.
SECOND STEP: Provide your bank account information
[Bank Account Information]
- Name and address of the account holder (The account must be in your name)
- Bank name, bank branch name, and address of bank branch
- Country where the bank is located
- Bank account (IBAN code in Europe)
- SWIFT code
(About recipient bank)
* Please make sure that your account can accept international wire transfers.
* In principle, funds will be sent in US dollars. Please confirm that your account can accept US dollars.
*Please check with your bank if it can receive funds “directly” from MUFG Bank, LTD. (Swift code: BOTKJPJT). If it cannot, please ask your bank to designate an intermediary bank to receive the funds and let us know the name and Swift code of the intermediary bank.
(About amount of funds)
* It is your responsibility to pay any tax-related fees required in your country.
* Any gain or loss due to foreign exchange rates is not the responsibility of the secretariat.
If any information or document provided by the applicant is found to contain false statements, the application will be unconditionally rejected. If false information is revealed after the funds have been disbursed, the applicant will be required to return the payment to the secretariat within 30 days of notification by the secretariat.